• Forum Login or
  • Register
  1. #1 20th November 2012 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Melanocortins Regulate Cholesterol Level

Melanocortin signaling in the CNS directly regulates circulating cholesterol

Abstract
    Cholesterol circulates in the blood in association with triglycerides and other lipids - elevated blood low-density lipoprotein cholesterol carries a risk for metabolic and cardiovascular disorders, whereas high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is thought to be beneficial. Circulating cholesterol is the balance among dietary cholesterol absorption, hepatic synthesis and secretion, and the metabolism of lipoproteins by various tissues. We found that the CNS is also an important regulator of cholesterol. Inhibiting the brain's melanocortin system by pharmacological, genetic or endocrine mechanisms increased circulating HDL cholesterol by reducing its uptake by the liver independent of food intake or body weight. Our data suggest that a neural circuit in the brain is directly involved in the control of cholesterol metabolism by the liver.
  2. #2 18th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Cardiovascular disorders are very common nowadays. It's still confusing to people, to me, what really triggers these diseases. Some say it's the bad cholesterol in food, some say that it has nothing to do with that. It's very good to know that Melanocortins regulate cholesterol levels. I would never have known that the brain is also involved in regulating cholesterol in the body. But then, the brain really is the most powerful organ, it can also help in this scenario. What more, it increases HDL which is the one type of fat that helps in transporting LDL away from tissues and arteries and such. So this research is not just of value, it's of great value.
  3. #3 12th November 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by briannagodess View Post
    Cardiovascular disorders are very common nowadays. It's still confusing to people, to me, what really triggers these diseases. Some say it's the bad cholesterol in food, some say that it has nothing to do with that. It's very good to know that Melanocortins regulate cholesterol levels. I would never have known that the brain is also involved in regulating cholesterol in the body. But then, the brain really is the most powerful organ, it can also help in this scenario. What more, it increases HDL which is the one type of fat that helps in transporting LDL away from tissues and arteries and such. So this research is not just of value, it's of great value.
    I believe that too much cholesterol contributes to heart diseases. When there are too much cholesterol, the blood won't be able to flow properly. This will cause the heart to pump more, so the blood can reach all the parts of the body. If the heart is overworked, it will lead to heart diseases.
  4. #4 7th May 2016 
    Thanks
    My doctor told me I should be happy about my very low total Cholesterol (130). Later - full of mistrust in the "health machine" - I found out that dead people
    shared my level on the autopsy table and that the least related Cholesterol level to overall health and mortality (WHO global statistics) was 220.
    The reason for this very low Cholesterol level turned out to be lack of CTH ("ACTH"). CTH's first duty is to mobilize cholesterol from the liver and supervise the
    creation of the mother-hormone, Pregnonelone. In fact, the entire steroid-chain, "stereoidgenisis" as well as "neurogenisis" depends on the CTH.