• Forum Login or
  • Register
  1. #1 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks

disposal of empty bottles and syringes

Ok, so I've always been curious about how others dispose of their empty vials.

I've got myself quite a collection of empties from prescriptions to peptides etc. And normally I just incinerate them. Or bring them to my used syringe drop off where the same thing is done.

But, it always interested me how responsible others were with their medical refuse.

I've heard of people throwing syringes in the garbage not thinking twice about it and that bothers me.
  2. #2 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks
    Insulin syringes/needles I put in a protein jug (with their caps on them) till it's full, superglue the threads, put the cap on, then give it a once around with duct tape and out in the trash for curbside pickup.
  3. #3 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks
    Needles to needle exchange, syringes without pins in the trash.
  4. #4 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks
    Empty vials go in trash can. Empty syringes to needle exchange.
  5. #5 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    Insulin syringes/needles I put in a protein jug (with their caps on them) till it's full, superglue the threads, put the cap on, then give it a once around with duct tape and out in the trash for curbside pickup.
    This for syringes is ideal..

Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    and out in the trash for curbside pickup.
    This probably not so much..

In my geographic location these are considered medical waste and hazardous not something that should be curbsided or processed through normal recycling. They require bringing to a syringe drop off, a Doctors office, or a hospital where they get incinerated. The process is less convenient but, in my opinion safer.
  6. #6 2nd November 2015 
    Thanks
    We have a drop bin at my local health centre for needles so all mine go in there, just so I know they'll be safely disposed of.

I know other ways will be safe, it just gives me peace of mind that they're professionally dealt with and then I don't have to worry.
  7. #7 3rd November 2015 
    Thanks
    I bring them to a syringe drop off, it's the responsible thing to do.
  8. #8 4th November 2015 
    Thanks
    We have to be responsible for this kinds of trash, and it's nice to read that, that's what you guys are doing. As for me, needles to needle exchange, and syringes without the needles and empty vials go straight to the trash.
  9. #9 6th November 2015 
    Thanks
    I think any drug that you need to inject, that person as some sort of responsibility to make sure that what they use doesn't affect other people, so it comes as no surprise to me to read that everyone on this thread acts in a responsible manner.

Some health centres will also provide special bins that you can take home so you can pop them in that and when its full its got a lock on it, close that, it locks and then you go and drop it off at the health centre, and they'll dispose of it properly, and give you a new empty bin to take back home with you.
  10. #10 8th November 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I think any drug that you need to inject, that person as some sort of responsibility to make sure that what they use doesn't affect other people, so it comes as no surprise to me to read that everyone on this thread acts in a responsible manner.

Some health centres will also provide special bins that you can take home so you can pop them in that and when its full its got a lock on it, close that, it locks and then you go and drop it off at the health centre, and they'll dispose of it properly, and give you a new empty bin to take back home with you.
    Yes, it is the responsibility of the person to make sure that they properly dispose any syringes, vials, and others that may cause contamination or harm to others. It's important that we are aware of this responsibility or the consequences will be grave.
  11. #11 12th November 2015 
    Thanks
    Well, not all are that responsible. A lot of people I know just mix their vials and syringes with their other trashes.