• Forum Login or
  • Register
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. #121 10th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Cure for gingerness

Been inactive lately, so missed a few things here!

It's a shame that it has been delayed, and for a minor issue at that. Hopefully you get it soon and can start testing!
  2. #122 10th September 2014 
    Thanks

I'm looking forward for your results.
    If I see signs of success, I will try it myself.
    Good Luck!
  3. #123 10th September 2014 
    Thanks

I have ordered from that other company as well. The one claiming DMI is not necessary, so I think the best thing to do is: using a DMI version on one side, a non-DMI version on the other one, to see if it makes some difference.
    The ones selling LMC say adding 10 ml to 190 ml of water is ideal. They claim using 10 percent instead of 5 won't make a difference, but I'm going to try it anyway on eyebrows or something.
    They all say you won't see results after three to four months and as I saw first results after two months, it all sounds logical and acceptable.
  4. #124 15th September 2014 
    Thanks

Today winkey product arrived.

Today I mixed 10 ml of the product with 10 ml of DMI and 80 ml of distilled water.
    I measured the PH level and it was 4. I had heard it should be around 6 to work. Is there anything I can adjust?
  5. #125 15th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

You can adjust the pH of the solution.
    Try looking in your local pet store (fish department) for liquid pH adjusters. You'll want pH Up, and an incredibly small amount at that.
    Another alternative is to add a solid alkaline to your mix. Baking soda should work ok for this, and hopefully won't affect the consistency. You can find out online a variety of different alkalines that you may have lying around the house!

Start off small when adding the alkaline, most are very potent and will take it from 4 to 10 in a couple drops. Testing the pH should be done after the solution has been mixed and left to stand for a few minutes.

Tom

-- EDIT]
    I've striked out part of this as I'm not entirely sure adding Potassium Hydroxide to a cosmetic product is a good idea! I'll leave it there for people so future posts don't look odd.
  6. #126 15th September 2014 
    Thanks

Thanks, Tom. You say "hopefully" won't effect the consistency, so you're not sure about this one? I emailed Winkey.
    I'm also waiting for another order from the US. They told me no DMI is needed for their LMC product.
  7. #127 15th September 2014 
    Thanks

PS Answer from Winkey:

You can use Triethanolamine (TEOA) to adjust PH if you need.TEOA is one kind of cosmetic ingredients

PS I added a small spoon of baking powder and now the PH is 6. Don't know if I should measure it again every day.
  8. #128 15th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

"
    PS Answer from Winkey]
    You can use Triethanolamine (TEOA) to adjust PH if you need.TEOA is one kind of cosmetic ingredients

PS I added a small spoon of baking powder and now the PH is 6. Don't know if I should measure it again every day.
    "

Not familiar with TEOA myself, and don't have much free time to look into it. Although it'll mean sourcing it, which could be problematic/expensive.
    Thinking about what I wrote earlier, its probably a good thing you didn't go with my first suggestion. Using potassium hydroxide in a cosmetic product wouldn't be wise - baking powder will be fine as a temporary measure, though.
    Test it again tomorrow and then perhaps every few days/weekly; depending on how many test strips you're willing to use. There may be slight variance but it shouldn't be defined enough to pick up with strips.

On a side note, what's the consistency like now?

Tom
  9. #129 15th September 2014 
    Thanks

Hey Tom,

I still have around 90 strips left. So testing it tomorrow and every couple of days would be fine.
    I'm using 80 ml of water, 10 ml of DMI and 10 ml of the melitane from Winkey.

I'll get the product from another seller probably this week. In a few months time I'll know what works best.
    The other company said DMI is not necesarry. It's a big cost, so I'll test that one without the DMI, to see if it makes a difference or not.
  10. #130 17th September 2014 
    Thanks

Over the last two days I measured the PH levels, it was greener than 6 but a bit less green than 7. Must be good I guess.
  11. #131 17th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's good! If you test it every few days you'll know how stable the pH is. For the next batch you make, if you make it identical, you can assume that mixture is stable too.
    If you modify it with TEA you'll have to make sure that doesn't alter it.

Not sure if you answered earlier, what's the consistency like? Would be useful to know for anyone else following
  12. #132 17th September 2014 
    Thanks

this one is:

10 ml melitane from Winkey
    10 ml DMI
    80 ml of distilled water
    and about one third of a small spoon of baking powder

When I get my next order, I will try it without DMI and on some parts. DMI is not cheap and if it would work as well without it, good.
  13. #133 30th September 2014 
    Thanks

a few updates.
    I try three different formulas.
    The winkey product plus DMI
    The winkey product without DMI
    and the LM product without DMI

Only noticed the winkey without DMI dropped a bit in PH levels after a week or so. Added baking powder and it was okay again.
  14. #134 30th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

"
    a few updates.
    I try three different formulas.
    The winkey product plus DMI
    The winkey product without DMI
    and the LM product without DMI

Only noticed the winkey without DMI dropped a bit in PH levels after a week or so. Added baking powder and it was okay again.
    "

Thanks for the update!
    That's quite interesting. Was it stable after that point? Glad the baking powder is still working!
  15. #135 30th September 2014 
    Thanks

I use strips and noticed the green color was a bit transparent and when adding the powder it got back to medium green. You couldnt really tell if it was the PH or a bad strip. Most of the time the PH is around 5-6. Too early to tell about results.
  16. #136 30th September 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Either way it's sorted now! Probably won't be worth investing in a digital reader, the cheap ones are inaccurate and the more accurate ones are still a decent bit.

Tom
  17. #137 2nd October 2014 
    Thanks

PH levels are stable today. It's still a bit frustrating that I couldn't finish the experiment I started in June.
    I remember many eyebrows came in darker, and just a few lashes but I think I've only done it twice a day for six weeks and then a few weeks once a day.
    Looking at those pale lashes now, I think]I wonder if it's normal that it starts with a few hairs darkening up which would mean the rest is about to follow?

I'm also a bit insecure about not using the DMI on some parts ( the American seller told me it's not necessary) but I don't know. I'm probably an impatient person.
  18. #138 2nd October 2014 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hopefully you find the best method. I'd imagine the one without DMI will still work, just maybe not quite as well.

5 or 6 months down the line you may have a good formula and enough supplies to last you a while!
  19. #139 2nd October 2014 
    Thanks

I wonder if it would make a huge difference with or without the DMI, it's just too expensive to experiment with and if you only experiment with DMI you'll never know how well it would work without it.
    I've also heard it's a gradual process, that should mean the initial darkening would get deeper after a while I suppose.
  20. #140 7th October 2014 
    Thanks

http://imgur.com/HBCFusP

seems like the one with added DMI remains stable at a PH level of 6 ( the darker green in the pic)
    checking the PH level of the one with added baking powder, it goes from 5 to around 6 right after adding the powder, but after three days, it gets back to lighter green. After three weeks it's too early to have results but would that imply that DMI is more important than we thought?