• Forum Login or
  • Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 25th October 2015 
    Thanks

best cardio method to avoid losing leg mucle mass

Since I fell in love with distance running a couple of years ago my leg size and strength have definitely suffered. The problem is that I absolutely LOVE running. That being said, I will never completely give up running. But it can no longer be my main mode of cardio. What forms of cardio do you people suppose to be the best sort of cardio to avoid this atrophy? Can some forms of cardio actually ADD to leg strength and/or size? The ones that come to mind for me are the stair stepper, the stair climber, steep inclined treadmill walking, and intermittent sprinting perhaps. What do you guys think? Thanks!
  2. #2 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I like run too. Running in winter in a park with my ipod is really wonderful. But When I prefer bike I can see a difference for my legs.
  3. #3 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Pulling a regular car tyre attached to a rope, slung over the shoulders. You would be surprised at how much drag is generated by the tyre alone, and even more surprised at how demanding it is on the leg muscles working as a whole. Walking, jogging, sprints. Less impact too!
  4. #4 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I like the ellipticals since I am a bit heavier and running is hard on my body. It provides good leg stamina.
  5. #5 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Try some uphill outdoor biking (on streets). Where I live I have some pretty big hills that fry my quads and give me a great pump.
  6. #6 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I've often had that same concern. How do I keep my cardiovascular system optimal while I continue to increase strength gains?

For me personally I like hill sprints. Sprint up side a - jog down side b - sprint up side b - jog down side a - Rest - Repeat. If I give it my 110% I find that I'm on the limit of vomiting all over myself within 20 minutes. But I'm not as in shape as some.
  7. #7 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I do like the uphill ideas here. There is a big grass hill at the park next to me that is supposed to be a driving range for golfers but they never really use it. I could run up the hill, walk down quickly and then run back up. About 3 years ago when my legs were at their biggest I was doing HIIT. It included a slow jog for 4 minutes followed by 8 cycles of 30 seconds of max speed sprinting and then 15 seconds of standing still. If you really push yourself as hard as you can for all of those 30 second sprints you will put yourself through hell and will have the greatest endorphin feel-good release imaginable. My legs were very thick back then.
  8. #8 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    There is something about "pushing things" that really seems to give me a tremendous cardiovascular workout. Pushing a vehicle/heavy sled and riding a bike are my favorite means of cardio. When programmed properly both give me thigh hypertrophy.
  9. #9 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Personally I prefer mountain biking than running and I also think it gives you the same cardio workout that running does but at the same time I don't lose the muscle structure in my legs.

I'd you love running that much though then maybe combine the two, I know people that will cycle to a spot, run for another distance and then ride back. That can be hard work though and can take some getting used to.
  10. #10 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johny bravo View Post
    There is something about "pushing things" that really seems to give me a tremendous cardiovascular workout. Pushing a vehicle/heavy sled and riding a bike are my favorite means of cardio. When programmed properly both give me thigh hypertrophy.
    Oh yeah bro that will kill you. They have these things at my gym called "Sleds." You can stack weights on it and push it across the grass. Great workout.
  11. #11 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    What do you guys think about the stair climbers? Not the stair steppers, but the ones with the escalator type thing where you are climbing stairs. Seems that shouldnt cause any cardio related atrophy and may to a minimal degree add to leg strength. No?
  12. #12 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Idealer View Post
    What do you guys think about the stair climbers? Not the stair steppers, but the ones with the escalator type thing where you are climbing stairs. Seems that shouldnt cause any cardio related atrophy and may to a minimal degree add to leg strength. No?
    I think it would actually be easier on real stairs. You could sprint up, jog down. Go two or three at a time. That way you have more control over the speed and dont have to worry about the dials on the stair climber.
  13. #13 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I think it would actually be easier on real stairs. You could sprint up, jog down. Go two or three at a time. That way you have more control over the speed and dont have to worry about the dials on the stair climber.
    Thats not a bad idea. I got some stairs here in my apt complex. Some people might think that I'm insane or something but thats okay lol.
  14. #14 25th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I would recommend stair climber, bike, or elliptical at high resistance. Each of these machines will provide you with a great cardio workout, but still require enough strength to keep, or even increase, your muscle mass. Doing interval training on incline would be a great way continue running, since it is something you love, while building muscle.
  15. #15 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I love running as well. Running is already included in my daily routine. It lets me function better. If you are looking for another cardio method, biking is another great way. I agree with biking uphill. That will surely prevent you from losing leg muscle mass.
  16. #16 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    What forms of cardio are the best with regards to not interfering with hypertrophy?
    For example, running is not extremely productive towards muscular hypertrophy if that is your goal. Now certainly you CAN build muscle while including running into your protocol, but it may not be optimal. What forms of cardio provide the least amount of interference? Swimming is good, yes. But what about something such as walking on a treadmill at the steepest incline? Or is it best to avoid all weight bearing cardio if you do not want to interfere with hypertrophy? Biking? Stairclimbing?
  17. #17 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediaffi View Post
    What forms of cardio are the best with regards to not interfering with hypertrophy?
    For example, running is not extremely productive towards muscular hypertrophy if that is your goal. Now certainly you CAN build muscle while including running into your protocol, but it may not be optimal. What forms of cardio provide the least amount of interference? Swimming is good, yes. But what about something such as walking on a treadmill at the steepest incline? Or is it best to avoid all weight bearing cardio if you do not want to interfere with hypertrophy? Biking? Stairclimbing?
    1: fasted medium intensity cycling. 20-30minutes
    2: semi fasted hill sprints. Ghrp+Grf 1 hour before, then slowly sip on leucine/EAA mixture.
    3: immediately pwo, 10 minutes max of sprints or cycling
  18. #18 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I very recently started doing kettlebell swings for cardio. I love em! They get your heart pumping pretty fast.
  19. #19 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediaffi View Post
    I think its more frequency and duration than anything.

I think you could do 20 minutes of HIIT 4x a week (maybe 4 one minute hard intervals) and be fine.

I think when you get into doing 45 minutes @ a HR of 130 5x a week thats when it becomes too much.
  20. #20 28th October 2015 
    Thanks
    I think HITT is awesome or circuit training moving from one exercise to the next with very little time between sets. It's amazing if you read about how many calories you can burn this way.