• Forum Login or
  • Register
  1. #1 31st July 2012 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Melanocyte Hormone Enhances DNA Repair

Melanocyte-stimulating hormone directly enhances UV-Induced DNA repair in keratinocytes by a xeroderma pigmentosum group A-dependent mechanism.

Abstract
    Melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) reduces UV-induced DNA damage through the induction of pigmentation. In this study, we provide evidence that MSH also enhances DNA repair in skin keratinocytes by modulating the function of DNA repair molecules. Intracutaneous injection of MSH prevented UV-induced DNA damage in human and mouse skin independent of its effects on melanogenesis. In keratinocytes, MSH bound to the melanocyte melanocortin receptor type 1 and activated adenylate cyclase activity, which in turn activated Xeroderma pigmentosum group A (XPA)-binding protein 1 and induced nuclear translocation of XPA, a critical factor controlling nucleotide excision repair signaling pathways. Together, our findings reveal a novel pigmentation-independent mechanism that underlies MSH-mediated DNA repair following UVB irradiation.
  2. #2 18th October 2015 
    Thanks
    MSH has therefore a role in massive skin injuries, like burns or wounds. Repair from these types of skin injuries can take a while. My CS incision is still very visible and red and it's been a year since my operation. So maybe, MSH can help with patients who have poor wound healing activities. For UV exposed patients, MSH has a great role in preventing getting diseases from it. I hope that in the next years, more people will follow this study and discover the wonders of Melanotan for a wide array of diseases.