• Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Rash

1. #1 18th January 2011 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sun Rash

How Sun Rash Works

It's common knowledge too much sun isn't good for you. In addition to causing painful sunburns, it also puts you at higher risk for skin cancer. Yet, for others, sun exposure can cause another painful condition]
    Sun rash is an allergic reaction to sunlight. A few different allergies can cause sun rash, the most common being polymorphous light eruption (PMLE), a condition in which skin rashes can develop after fairly limited sun exposure. Other sun allergies that cause sun rash include hereditary PMLE, which is often found in people of Native American descent, and solar urticaria, a rare condition characterized by hives that usually affects young women.

Certain medications can also cause allergic reactions to the sun known as photoallergic reactions. These reactions are caused by the interaction between sunlight and certain ingredients in the medications. Common prescription medications that can cause photoallergic reactions include birth control, antibiotics and antidepressants.

The physical effects of PMLE vary, but they usually take the form of small bumps, redness and itchiness, and sometimes burning, blistering or swelling can occur as well. This rash typically appears on the neck and chest, but it can also show up on the arms and thighs. Other symptoms include chills, headaches and nausea.

PMLE occurs in an estimated 10 to 15 percent of the population and affects people of all races and ethnicities. People with PMLE typically exhibit symptoms at the same time each year, which is usually in the spring or early summer when sun exposure first occurs.

If you have PMLE and live in a northern climate, your first exposure to sunlight in spring or early summer is more likely to cause sun rash because your skin hasn't seen the sun for months. Taking a sunny vacation during the winter can also trigger PMLE for the same reason. Fortunately, each time the skin is exposed to the sun, sensitivity to UV light usually decreases. By the end of the summer, people with PMLE often are able to enjoy the sun's rays without getting a rash.
    Anyone can be affected by PMLE; however, some common risk factors include being female, being under 30, being fair-skinned, living in a northern climate and having a family history of PMLE.
  2. #2 25th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I am commenting because I believe that other users should know about this! This is a helpful article especially to those who are into tanning, sunbathing and using tanning booth. Thank you for sharing this information!!
  3. #3 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    True. Those who are used to sunlight don't suffer too much from sun rash compared to those who are not used to the heat of the sun. This is why people from tropical countries seldom experience this problem. Well, I think that if we do our best to protect our skin, we will be able to reduce the possibility of getting sun rash when we are exposed to the sun.
  4. #4 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I think a lot of people don't understand just how dangerous the sun can be sometimes and when people aren't used to being in the sun, a lot tend to want to make the most of it while they can buy then in turn end up over doing it.
  5. #5 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Overexposure to sun can actually lead to skin cancer. That is the reason why I always make sure to protect my skin. When I am out under the heat of the sun, I use any of the following:

1.) Sunscreen
    2.) Rash guard
    3.) Melanotan

These things really help me protect my skin and keep it nice and healthy.
  6. #6 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Yes, it should be noted that sun rash is different than heat rash. Heat rash can also take place in the summer, but is usually cause by perspring in humid conditions. so this is one of the thigs that you need to be wary of when you are looking for problems in what you are doing. Make sure that you get the sun protection you are looking for. Be wary of sun and heat rash problems.
  7. #7 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KE Gord View Post
    Yes, it should be noted that sun rash is different than heat rash. Heat rash can also take place in the summer, but is usually cause by perspring in humid conditions. so this is one of the thigs that you need to be wary of when you are looking for problems in what you are doing. Make sure that you get the sun protection you are looking for. Be wary of sun and heat rash problems.
    Many people get confused with the two. I even know some people who refer sun rash as heat rash and vice versa. It is important to know the difference between the two. When the time comes that you need help from other users regarding your problem, it is important to know the name of your problem and its details.
  8. #8 27th September 2015 
    Thanks
    It is a great information. It will help those who usually experience sun rash! It might give them an idea on how to protect themselves so they won;'t have to suffer from it anymore. Thank you for posting this! Users will surely be glad to read it.
  9. #9 27th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarofhearts View Post
    Overexposure to sun can actually lead to skin cancer. That is the reason why I always make sure to protect my skin. When I am out under the heat of the sun, I use any of the following:

1.) Sunscreen
    2.) Rash guard
    3.) Melanotan

These things really help me protect my skin and keep it nice and healthy.
    I am sure you have a healthy skin considering how much effort you exert just to protect your skin. Aside from protecting your skin, you should also maintain its moisture, softness and smoothness. That is why you should add "moisturizer" in your skin care products.
  10. #10 29th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Some people are genetically prone to cancer. Exposing their skin to the sun will worsen their situation. It is very important for us to note that the sun can cause a lot of damage to some skin types, especially those types of skin that are not used to being exposed to sunlight for a long time.
  11. #11 29th September 2015 
    Thanks
    It is true that too much of sunlight isn't good for some people's skin. But I think those types of skin are allergic to it. Sunlight is not naturally bad for the skin, except for those who are genetically prone to skin problems when exposed to it.
  12. #12 17th October 2015 
    Thanks
    It also depends on the skin. If you are dark-skinned, it means your skin is rich in melanin. You are less prone to skin cancer compared to those who have less melanin in their skin. When going out, always remember to apply sun block and put on protective gears!
  13. #13 19th October 2015 
    Thanks
    It's too bad if a person is allergic to the sun. The sun is a good source of Vitamin D and hanging out in the beach and getting a tan is kind of a stress reliever for me. I can't imagine my life without being exposed to the sun once in a while.
  14. #14 19th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Being allergic to the sun is probably more common than people think, and people will have different severities of it so it won't be all that noticeable.

As for vitamin D, while the sun is the main provider of that, there's always supplement's people can take to boost that if they do have to limit their times in the sun.
  15. #15 19th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Rashes are strange things. I like to treat any rash with African Black soap and apple cider vinegar. Hopefully it isn't an allergy to the skin. I just can't imagine how completely annoying something like that would be!
  16. #16 20th October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    Being allergic to the sun is probably more common than people think, and people will have different severities of it so it won't be all that noticeable.

As for vitamin D, while the sun is the main provider of that, there's always supplement's people can take to boost that if they do have to limit their times in the sun.
    Many people are not even aware that there are those who are allergic to sunlight. I know someone who tends to avoid the sun as much as possible. He said it makes his skin really itchy. I think the term he used was skin asthma.
  17. #17 21st October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_stevens View Post
    Many people are not even aware that there are those who are allergic to sunlight. I know someone who tends to avoid the sun as much as possible. He said it makes his skin really itchy. I think the term he used was skin asthma.
    Yes, it's skin asthma. My neighbor before has that and he can't go out of his house unless he's wearing a hoodie or anything that has long sleeves.
  18. #18 21st October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pampamparampam View Post
    Yes, it's skin asthma. My neighbor before has that and he can't go out of his house unless he's wearing a hoodie or anything that has long sleeves.
    So, they can't go out unless they are completely covered? That's just sad. They're just like vampires, lol. Always trying to stay away from the sun.
  19. #19 22nd October 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dseriousone View Post
    So, they can't go out unless they are completely covered? That's just sad. They're just like vampires, lol. Always trying to stay away from the sun.
    Lol. Now that you have mentioned it, they are actually like vampires, avoiding the sun as much as possible and almost completely covered to make sure they are not hit by the heat of the sun.
  20. #20 23rd October 2015 
    Thanks
    Even if we are less prone to skin cancer and don't have those conditions like the skin asthma you guys are saying, we should still be careful and make sure we don't stay out in the sun too much. Skin cancer can't be detected right away and can just start with a mole appearing somewhere in your body. You might think it's nothing serious, and then you'll just be slapped in the face that it was skin cancer already.