Synthetic hormones developed by scientists have become available and are being injected by some people to give themselves a tan. The substance in question is called melanotan, which is a synthetic analogue of the natural hormone a-melanocyte stimulating hormone (a-MSH). a-MSH is involved in the response to sunlight, stimulating cells called melanocytes to make melanin, the protective tanning pigment in the skin. The synthetic derivatives (melanotan I and II) were made at the University of Arizona in the 1980’s and found to mimic a-MSH but more potently.

Using these synthetic hormones might then darken the skin and give people the tan they want without the dangers of sunlight. Building up a tan like this might also provide a melanin protection against sun damage. Melanotan I has been shown, in limited clinical trials, to give a tan in volunteers with tannable skin types by increasing melanin levels in their skin. Melanotan II will also produce a tan but it has additional effects on libido and sexual arousal, which can be a welcome effect. Some have dubbed these substances the “Barbie drug”, presumably because melanotan II will give you a tan, reduce your weight and increase your libido.

Melanotan I is available via the Internet (for research purposes only!) or “under the counter” at tanning parlours, and is being injected to produce a tan in those who use it. There are reports of so-called tanorexics injecting the substance and experiencing side effects such as nausea but ending up with a good tan. Tanning is also important for body builders. There is also a concern that people may be careless with sun exposure after using this artificial tanning method.

Why is unorthodox use occurring and what can we learn from it?* Somehow a tan is linked with health, wealth and celebrity and this drives people to try risky methods such as melanotan injection.* The users must take some responsibility for themselves and the risks they are taking.