• Forum Login or
  • Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skincare Basics

1. #1 16th November 2010 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Skincare Basics

[b]Skin Structure]Skin is the body's largest organ. It comprises three layers: the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous layer. The epidermis is the outermost layer of skin, composed of cells called epithelial cells. The dermis, the layer underneath the epidermis, contains blood vessels, lymphatic tissue, nerves, sweat glands, hair follicles and sebaceous glands - glands that produce and secrete oil to protect against bacteria. The third layer, the subcutaneous layer, is a supporting layer of fatty tissue.

The skin is a complicated, multipurpose organ. In one sense, it performs regulatory functions. It maintains body temperature and helps the body stay cool, through perspiration. It also helps the body maintain its heat by reducing blood flow and producing body hair. It helps prevent dehydration, and rids the body of waste, through sweat.

The skin also functions as a defense mechanism, protecting the internal organs against contamination and injury. It also produces Vitamin D3, which helps the body use calcium and phosphorous to maintain healthy bone tissue. Finally, due to the network of nerve tissue running through the skin, it is responsible for producing sensations such as pain, heat, and cold.

Proper skin care is important to maintaining health, and is an integral part of overall wound management. Many factors are involved in caring for the skin.
    [b]
    Skin Protection]* The sun's rays affect the skin in harmful ways. To prevent damage, avoid deliberate exposure to the sun. Start a habit of using sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 every day. Certain moisturizers actually contain SPF in their ingredients, particularly certain facial moisturizers. Apply sunscreen twenty minutes prior to sun exposure, and reapply every two hours. Beginning a habit of wearing sunscreen everyday will protect your skin and keep it healthy in the long run. Wear a hat, sunglasses and clothing to protect your skin if you plan to spend a period of time outside.

[b]Skin Hygiene]* Cleansing the skin is an important step in maintaining health. There are many cleaning products on the market; exercise caution in selecting products for use and monitor skin for possible adverse reactions.

People should cleanse their skin every day, using a mild, fragrance-free soap and warm water. Avoid exposure to hot water - it can dehydrate the skin, making it more prone to damage. Also, hot water can damage fragile skin, like the skin of young children or older people. Scald burns occur on delicate skin at lower temperatures than average adult skin.

Moisturize your skin regularly. Moisturizers prevent water loss by either drawing moisture to the outer layer of the skin, or coating the skin's surface with a layer of substance, sealing moisture into the skin. Moisturizing products include petrolatum, mineral oil, lanolin, and silicone products. Glycerin, proteins, and vitamins attract water to the skin.

Additional products, such as astringents can be harsh for weaker skin. Astringents remove oil and soap from the skin surface. Many astringents are alcohol based, or contain salicylic acid, or witch hazel. Exercise caution in using astringents as they can over dry or irritate the skin.

Inspect your skin carefully and often. Take notice of any birthmarks, moles, areas of redness, bumps, rashes, or irregularities. Report any changes to your health care practitioner.

In designing a skin care regimen that is right for you, consult a dermatologist. Be sure to share your entire medical history, including a family history, particularly if it includes skin cancer or diabetes.
  2. #2 25th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Now, I am already starting to wonder on why there are no comments on your posts when it contains great information! Well, probably, it was because the people in this forum before were not that active. I am glad that there are a lot of users who are very active in posting threads and replying to threads these days.
  3. #3 25th September 2015 
    Thanks
    You have a point! It might be because there were still no active users before. If there was, then probably, there was only a few of them. Others might be too lazy to read long posts as well. However, if they are really interested in the topic, for sure, they will spend some time to read the entire article. And I also agree that this thread/post is very informative!
  4. #4 25th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I love how you pin point each important factors in skin care. Skin protection is really important. Melanotan will help you take good care of your skin. It isn't just for tanning alone. It is effective for protecting your skin against the possibility of being burnt from sun exposure.
  5. #5 25th September 2015 
    Thanks
    It's funny how the skin doesn't get as much attention as it deserves or needs. People are all to busy gaining muscle and eating healthy, toning up but not enough attention is paid to protecting the skin and keeping it healthy and in good condition.

The OP as some great points and maybe now people will see just how important it is.
  6. #6 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    This really gives a lot of useful information. Well, though I still take good care of my skin, I am not that vain now considering that I am already too old. Lol. Anyway, even with my age, I still look like I am on my 40s or 50s. Thanks to the supplements I am taking and to the sunscreen I have been using for several years now.
  7. #7 26th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I realized that this is a very old post. However, whoever commented first on this article to make it appear on the first few pages of the forum, than you! This post needs to be exposed and for sure, a lot of us want to know how to take good care of our skin.
  8. #8 27th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Great article! I love how you emphasized that there are several factors in taking good care of the skin. Some thinks that protecting their skin is the only thing they need to do. They don't realize that it is very important to maintain a good skin hygiene.
  9. #9 27th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I agree with you! Mositurizer is definitely your skin's bestfriend! Even when you are not aiming to whiten your skin or what, you have to use this to make it look young and feel smooth. Without using this, your skin can easily become dull and dry, which I know you don't want to happen.
  10. #10 27th September 2015 
    Thanks
    I am glad that people here are not just interested in getting a tan or whitening their skin. They are also eager to do everything to take good care of their skin. This is how we should think. We shouldn't just think of the physical beauty.
  11. #11 28th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Great information! For sure, a lot of people are going to read this one considering the fact that there are a lot of people who are very conscious when it comes to their skin. They will read everything that is related to taking good care of it.
  12. #12 28th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Excellent information!

Many people don't think about their skin, but it is a very important organ! You can tell a lot about your diet and health of your body by the condition of your skin. It's very important to take care of as well. So many people don't seem to worry about it's condition. What you put on your skin will make it's way in your body.
  13. #13 28th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by misskrystal1982 View Post
    Excellent information!

Many people don't think about their skin, but it is a very important organ! You can tell a lot about your diet and health of your body by the condition of your skin. It's very important to take care of as well. So many people don't seem to worry about it's condition. What you put on your skin will make it's way in your body.
    Definitely. Skin shows what is happening inside your body. If it is too dry, then it makes us informed that we lack certain vitamins and that there is something wrong with our health. Aside from that, skin is also prone to many infection and diseases. If we don't take good care of it, then we'll definitely go through something very problematic.
  14. #14 28th September 2015 
    Thanks
    It's true that the condition of the skin can give us clues as to how healthy we really are and I think a lot of people don't read the signs enough and just tend to ignore what their skin is telling them.
  15. #15 29th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Great information. Perfectly outlined! I think taking care of the skin is just as important as toning, and shouldn't be neglected. I have never neglected my skin. I give it the same amount of attention I give my muscles, because it is just as important. Protecting my skin, keep it clean and healthy and maintaining a perfect tone gives me my desired result
  16. #16 29th September 2015 
    Thanks
    My friend has got some problems with her skin. No matter how hard she tries, it never gets smooth. It's destroying her modelling career,. Fashion companies don't accept people with rough skin. Is it possible that trying moisturizers containing peptides may be good for her skin?
  17. #17 29th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mayoress View Post
    My friend has got some problems with her skin. No matter how hard she tries, it never gets smooth. It's destroying her modelling career,. Fashion companies don't accept people with rough skin. Is it possible that trying moisturizers containing peptides may be good for her skin?
    Yes moisturisers will definitely help, but also if she is smoking she should stop it. and also she should add some healthy fats to her diet, like fatty fish, fish oils, nuts etc. Small dose of HGH would also improve her skin.
  18. #18 30th September 2015 
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Yes moisturisers will definitely help, but also if she is smoking she should stop it. and also she should add some healthy fats to her diet, like fatty fish, fish oils, nuts etc. Small dose of HGH would also improve her skin.
    I agree. No matter how much she puts moisturizer on her skin, if her lifestyle isn't that good, then there's no way her skin will develop even with hgh or other products. If she smokes, sleeps too late, eats unhealthy meals and is too stressed, then her skin will continue to be rough and dull
  19. #19 30th September 2015 
    Thanks
    As someone who had a bad skin condition before, I really appreciate that you spent sometime to post this thread. It contains a lot of information that will make us understand on how to correctly take care of our skin. Thank you so much.
  20. #20 7th October 2015 
    Thanks
    This is a very nice article and I had learned something new today. It is really important that we should have a regular good hygiene for our skin that sometimes most of us are not aware and what are the right ways to take care of our skin. Thanks for sharing!