From Feb of '08:

A Guide to Melanotan

The goal here is to hit the ground running with what we currently know in regards to this amazing new peptide.* While it would not be realistic to cover each and every nuance of the drug, I believe we can provide you with a solid enough background to help create your cycle.* My sources come from experience, melanotan websites, ncbi, Clinuvel, and other various logs.

Melanotan has made a significant impact on many lives and will continue to do so in the upcoming years.* As a three year veteran user of melanotan peptides, I will give the best perspective I can.*

Goals for melanotan use should be measurable, attainable, realistic, and have a timeframe in mind.* Now there is no magic pill or formula here, so obviously listening to one’s body is of the utmost importance.* Beyond reading this write up, there is a certain amount of preliminary research a prospective melanotan user must do.* First, find out what skin type you are.* Second, decide whether or not you intend to use melanotan as a sunless tanner or expose yourself to UV radiation (sun/solarium).* Third, have confidence in your goals and see them through!!!

So what is Melanotan?

The body's naturally occurring hormone alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone (?-MSH) causes melanogenesis, a process by which the skin's tanning cells (melanocytes) produce the skin's tanning pigment (melanin).* Melanotan is a synthetic version of melanocyte stimulating hormone.* The peptides amino acid sequence is]-alpha-MSH. Currently Melanotan is being tested and developed under the name CUV1647 by the Australian company Clinuvel Pharmaceuticals, for indications such as Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE) and Actinic Keratosis (AK).

Studies show that Melanotan is 10 to 1000 times more potent than our natural a-MSH. In fact, Clinuvel has confirmed the increased effects of CUV1647.* Today the public has more interest in Melanotan.* Melanotan II has taken a step back (imo).

What does this mean?

Melanotan stimulates the natural production of melanin, the pigmentation of the skin which protects it from UV radiation.* This is why it is of particular interest for those of us with fair skin.* For rosacea sufferers, the product could potentially thicken facial skin, protect it from sunburn and hide the redness. I do not suffer from this, so cannot really comment though I have read some success stories in user logs.

People use Melanotan for a variety of reasons.* Primary reason people are experimenting with this peptide is to get tan (cosmetic reasons).* People who burn in the sun and never tan can experience a real tan for the first time!* There are also users who have history or concerns of skin cancer.* These users use Melanotan to not only protect their skin, but to live a normal lifestyle.* Some are even able to achieve and/or maintain a sunless tan.

To be particularly clear regarding Melanotan (due to previous incorrect news reports) it should be known that it does not cause sexual arousal or aphrodisiac effects. These aspects are only found in Melanotan II and Bremelanotide.* Users who administer subcutaneously may suffer from slight nausea and flushing similar to that of Melanotan II; however, it is not reported to be as severe or last as long.*

Another difference in Melanotan (opposed to Melanotan II) is that the linear peptide does not cross the blood brain barrier (BBB).* By not crossing the BBB, Melanotan will not affect the MCR3 or MCR4 receptors in such a way Melanotan II would.* Therefore it should not impact your eyes, appetite or blood pressure (positively or negatively).* Furthermore it is noted that users do not report joint pain, headaches or fatigue from the original Melanotan.

Melanotan users must patient.* Melanotan II users see results sooner, and at a lower dose.* Some seasoned users actually use both by adding MT-II in the beginning to jumpstart their cycles.*

The Melanotan Cycleť

The loading phase is the first step in your Melanotan cycle.* See how your body reacts to a low dose out of the gate.* Take .5mg for your first day.* Recommended injection time would be after dinner, on a full stomach.

Allow a couple weeks before seeing UV exposure as a rule of thumb.* Sunburn is the enemy here, and building up the melanin will give you a leg up in this arena.* Some begin by dosing low and hitting the sun bed right away and this is perfectly fine as long as you are in tune with your body.

Example-* Skin type II, 180lb male
Day 1-2]Day 3-6:* 1mg when convenient
Day 7-10]Day 11 on forward:* begin dosing ~6mg/week

Day 7]Day 9:* 10min sun bed session.* Allow face some rays and obviously continue to use lotion liberally.
Day 11]From this point on it is all about what fits your lifestyle and common sense….

What Skin Type Am I?

Dosing According to Skin Type

Fitzpatrick Skin Type I]Fitzpatrick Skin Type II:* .75mg-1.5mg/day.* 60mg should be sufficient to get color.* UV exposure after 10-20mg
Fitzpatrick Skin Type III]Fitzpatrick Skin Type IV and beyond:* Do not use Melanotan.

Understand that the half life of Melanotan is very brief.* The melanin precursors and activated melanocytes last for months.* So missing a day, taking a few days off…all of these factors really are not of critical importance.* The focus should be making sure you are protected when exposing yourself to UV radiation in order to get a tan.* Again, we want to avoid sunburn.* It also is noteworthy to understand that after UV exposure, a tan generally does not set in until 48 hours later.* Don’t let your tan sneak up on you!

Reconstituting

Swab the stopper of both your M-I vial and the vial of the dilutent (bacteriostatic water) with an alcohol swab.

Take a syringe and draw up your bact water. The amount isn't critical, other than making sure you know exactly how much you have used. The best rule of thumb is choose an amount that will make measuring the final product easy.

Example- 2ml(cc) per 20mg vial of M-I would mean each 10 marks on a U100 insulin syringe would equal 1mg of Melanotan (M-I)

Example- 1ml(cc) per 10mg vial of M-I would mean each 10 marks on a U100 insulin syringe would equal 1mg of Melanotan (M-I)

Avoid shooting the dilutent directly on the lyophilized powder.* The powder should almost instantly dissolve.* Gently swirl until the liquid is clear if powder did not dissolve upon contact.

Store your unused M-I in the refrigerator.* Once reconstituted, the Melanotan should be good for 4-6 weeks in the refrigerator.*

Measuring

After you have successfully reconstituted your Melanotan, now you need to know how to measure the desired amount out for injection. You will want to use a U100 insulin syringe to draw out your M-I.

Since you know the amount of mg's in your M-I vial, and you also know how much water you have diluted it with, we just divide this out as follows]
[u]You will need to understand]

1ml = 1cc = 100 IU's

So we take our number of mg's of Melanotan and we divide that into the amount of dilutent we used.

Example- We used 2cc(ml) of water. We have a 20mg vial of M-I.
From our formula above we know that 1cc = 100 IU's, so we have 200 IU's of water.
We now divide the 200 IU's (the amount of our water) by 20mg (the amount of our M-I)

200 IU / 20mg = 10

This 10 will perfectly correspond with the markings on a U100 insulin syringe. In our example every 10 mark on our syringe will equal 1mg of M-I.

Melanotan is meant to be a subcutaneous injection.* It can however be shot IM, but is not recommended.

Be Aware

Melanotan is still undergoing clinical trials and is not an approved drug in the US or Australia.* People use the drug on the pretenses and understanding that it is for research purposes only.*

Those who develop (using the word develop loosely) moles or freckles typically do so on their first cycle.* It is rare people develop more on later cycles.* The reality is the freckles were probably present before, but were light enough that they had gone unnoticed.* If you take the drug in order to change your skin color…you can almost expect it to happen.* However those who stick it out are generally happy in the end.* Bottom line is you are producing more melanin and as the rest of your body gets dark, the initial freckles do not matter!

Hopefully this information will get better and better as more and more Melanotan II users make the switch to the original Melanotan.*
Best of luck with your trials!!!