• Forum Login or
  • Register
  1. #1 8th July 2012 
    Thanks

Started with a far too high dose - What should I do now?

Hi there

I wish I had done a little more research before starting my journey with Melanotan II, especially using the valuable experiences on this forum.

I am a skin type II - III, caucasian male, 6ft 4, 95kg, dark hair and eyes. Lots of existing moles/freckles and birthmarks. Get pretty brown in the Australian summer and have used sun beds on and off for about 6 years.

I started dosing 7 days ago, with a dose of 0.05 for 2 days before moving up to 0.1ml daily in the evenings. This was based on information from the company I purchased it from and also from my friend who has had good results before (but has a different skin type and obviously a different reaction).

I have now realised I should have stuck to 0.05 or even as low as 0.025 to begin with (or even all along). I have had 2 solarium sessions since starting - of 8 mins each at 25uv with the facial tanner on. I realise now this has probably been overdoing it! I have noticed my moles becoming a lot dark and more "pronounced" as well as some facial blotching/uneven colour.* There are slight dark circles under my eyes. I am generally quite happy with the tan colour however. My appearance is not a complete nightmare, but I need some sound advice on how to proceed so I don't end up looking like a freak.

My situation is that we are about to leave in 10 days on a 3 week European vacation which will undoubtedly mean a lot of time in the sun.

Should I continue to dose daily at a much lower dose (say 0.025) or stop using Melanotan II altogether and just have a couple of sun beds before I jet off?. My ideal result from now would be to be slightly darker before leaving and then be able to cautiously build my tan further whilst on vacation. I'm usually pretty good at covering up/not getting burnt in the sun and happy to do that on this vacation, too.

Wish I had started more cautiously and really hope this doesn't mean I look strange in photos from our trip of a lifetime!

Thanks in advance for your help and for this great forum*
  2. #2 8th July 2012 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Started high dosing Melanotan - What to do?

Great post elation, thrilled you have shared your experience so far & are focused on the future strategy.
    Your darker skin type combined with moles/freckles/marks makes any illegal/unethical company provided instruction n/a - certainly a challenge to attain a controlled systemic tan (which looks natural and healthy) given your variables.

Dosing approx 1/10th of a Melanotan 2 vial is grossly haphazard (scary how mainstream the practice is worldwide) - you are not alone! Combined MT-2 usage & solarium sessions direct to the face can become a quick recipe for disaster/shocking result. Good news is the extreme pigmentation changes are at the peak approx 7 days into experimentation...worst can indeed be behind you

going forward 250mcg doses are plenty potent for tanning (1mg doses are for the recreational occasions...not all/many can handle the dose without side-effects of large doses) - the lower the better as far as dosage goes is my best advice e5* 8)

Covering of the face, eye protection, sunscreen...all of these details will be important in your photo-therapy strategy upcoming to & during your trip. For now relax, enjoy a cleansing/rejuvenating facial & keep the sun off your face/head (inverse farmer's tan...or upper trunk area...as these areas tan quick).
    A legitimate experiment for next round of melanotan, should you choose to continue use, would be to utilize Melanotan 1 - peripheral & side effects are reduced as compared to MT-2 - further the pigmentation changes/photoprotection offered is dramatically less (a great deal more user friendly... especially for those with wildcard features such as freckles, tan-able skin/etc)
  3. #3 8th July 2012 
    Thanks

Re: Started with a far too high dose - What should I do now?

Many thanks for your fast reply, and all of your advice thus far.

Final questions]Do you think that it would be wise now to continue daily dosing at a very low level (maybe 100mcg - 250mcg) for say the next 4-5 days coupled with 1 or 2 solarium sessions (with face covered) before leaving in 10 days?

OR should I leave all UV exposure until I'm in the sun now and cease Melatonan II altogether? I'm not quite at the shade I would like all over but understand you should potentially stop before you get to that shade.

Regardless, I'll heed your advice about keeping high exposure areas minimally exposed to UV.

I know its obviously difficult to be specific/prescriptive over a forum but any general advice is greatly appreciated.

Lesson learned with the dosing and it should serve as a warning. That is truly irresponsible for these companies to be advising that a vial will only last 10 doses. For the record, though, I still think this is a fantastic product and people just need to inform themselves properly, realise its potency and realise it truly is different for each individual.

Thanks again for your great work*
  4. #4 8th July 2012 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Keep the questions coming as you have them please

"
    Final questions]Do you think that it would be wise now to continue daily dosing at a very low level (maybe 100mcg - 250mcg) for say the next 4-5 days coupled with 1 or 2 solarium sessions (with face covered) before leaving in 10 days?

"
    Indeed, I like the strategy of continuing with the low dosage & controlled photo-therapy. 10 days until trip is an exciting timeframe - can image the photos will soon highlight your vacation color ]
    When I noticed the abilities to darken under-eyes, lips, etc on the face...my face was covered/protected for at least 95% of the time (as compared to when I would tan my stomach, back or legs...) from then on - further I like to place SPF lotion on dark freckles, forearms, scars & tattoos....

Keep listening to your body & going on instinct my friend! Best to you* 8)
  5. #5 10th July 2012 
    Thanks

Re: Started with a far too high dose - What should I do now?

Hi again everyone and thanks for your reply, Melanotan.

I thought I would post an update as there may be other people in my situation (too much, too soon and not enough research based on my skin type) and collective knowledge is power, right?

I decided after I sent the first post that I would discontinue use with Melanotan II altogether. I was clearly not in the "sweet spot" for effective use (more of a type III - LOTS of moles). The side effects are outweighing the benefits. This is what I did to get myself into trouble with this product]
    Day 1* 250 mcg
    Day 2* 500 mcg
    Day 3* 1 mg* * * (10 min on lie down solarium with facial tanner on)
    Day 4* 1mg
    Day 5* 1 mg
    Day 6* * No dosage as stayed at a friend's*
    Day 7* (8 min on lie down solarium with facial tanner on) then 1 mg
    Day 8* * Discontinued Use

Whilst I don't look bad at the moment. My face is a lot darker than the rest of me. It kind of looks 'dirty' as well. My skin (normally combination/normal) has become a lot more oily. Have also had a couple of ingrown hairs. My moles all became more pronounced. I have an all over sore/tingly feeling which is kind of like when you overdo it on a solarium in normal conditions.

In retrospect (indeed a wonderful thing) I should have read up on this product instead of listening to my type II fair haired, blue eyed friend who swears by this product and thought things would be the same for everyone! I DEFINITELY wouldn't have started.

Note, I'm not saying this product isn't good - just NOT for everyone.

I will keep you all updated - at the moment, I am hoping for my face to calm down a bit and then head to (stand up) solarium the day before I fly out to Europe (in 8 days time) with my face completely covered.

Only thing that is reassuring right now is that Melanotan mentioned that things peak 7 days in and the worst could be behind me!
  6. #6 10th July 2012 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Started with a far too high dose - Great story

Well wishes your way & thanks again for the highlights/details - indeed @ day 7-10 is when ALL users (even clinical melanotan 1 trials of the weak product) generally have their freak out (particularly those who experiment with super-potent analog MT-2) - happy to read the thought out decision elation5

Melanotan II sucks - the peptide can certainly turn unsuspecting folks into freaks. Dosing out of range & tanning is a recipe for disaster (ingrown hairs/oily skin, gi tract discomfort, nausea, uncontrolled/increased/spontaneous libido, dark freckles/moles/scars/genitalia/lips/under-eyes....) for risky candidates/populations. Word to the wise & when in doubt, DO NOT USE

The hope I hang onto is the future melanocortin agonist peptides that will be user-friendly, targeted w/ less peripheral effects...while actually having effect on sun tanning/photo-protection for those most in need genetically. For now we have cheap MT-2 which can be harmful & work TOO well...and MT-1 which only a narrow niche can utilize, afford & see value from....