• Forum Login or
  • Register
  1. #1 15th September 2009 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fitzpatrick Classification Scale

The Fitzpatrick Classification Scale was developed in 1975 by Harvard Medical School dermatologist, Thomas Fitzpatrick, MD, PhD. This scale classifies a person's complexion and their tolerance of sunlight. It is used by many practitioners to determine how someone will respond or react to facial treatments, and how likely they are to get skin cancer.

The Fitzpatrick scale classifies skin types from I to VI.

Fitzpatrick Classification Scale

* * * Type I – Very white or freckled skin, always burns with sun exposure (very fair; often in people with red or blond hair and blue eyes)

* * * Type II – White skin, usually burns with sun exposure (fair; often in people with red or blond hair and blue, green, or hazel eyes)

* * * Type III – White or olive skin tone, sometime burns with sun exposure (fair; seen in people with any hair or eye color)

* * * Type IV – Brown skin, rarely burns with sun exposure (common in people of Mediterranean descent)

* * * Type V – Dark brown skin, very rarely burns with sun exposure (common in people of Middle-Eastern descent)

* * * Type VI – Black skin, never burns with sun exposure
  2. #2 17th August 2010 
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

What is my Skin type? (the six Fitzpatrick skin types)

Our skin protects us from damage incurred from exposure to UV light. Melanin, the pigment that colours our skin, acts as a light filter, reflecting and refracting ultraviolet light. Eumelanin increases our ability to prevent skin damage from UV light.

Skin has been classified into 6 different skin types.